Dental insurance is usually something an employer will include in a health plan. But, not always. Dental insurance can be an individual, family or group plan. So, what is dental insurance all about and how can you save on the costs?
Dental insurance supplements good dental care; it doesn't make up for it. In other words, if you are not taking care of your teeth and gums, dental insurance isn't going to fix it all for little to no cost. Rather, the insurance pays the most when the care is preventive or proactive.
At the same time, dental insurance does pay some for issues such as tooth decay and gum disease. However, there are maximum benefits in most plans, which makes it great for proactive care and to supplement the bigger bills such as crowns or root canals.
For example, some of the average coverages are:
- Diagnostic/Preventive care - 100%
- Fillings - 50%
- Oral surgery - 50%
- Implants - 0%
As you can see, dental insurance does not cover all the costs. Yet, there are some ways you can save on dental insurance:
- Consider using a dental school that accepts insurance. For some procedures, such as cleaning, the cost may be less.
- Use the preventive care so a dentist can find problems before they become bigger and more expensive. This also includes taking care of teeth and gums at home by brushing and flossing.
- Negotiate with the dentist. Compare prices on the big items and talk with your dentist about what it would cost somewhere else. Also, prioritize the needed treatments.
- If the insurance allows, use a flexible spending or health spending plan. That way you can save for possible dental bills. The flexible spending or health spending plan gives you tax breaks, so check your dental insurance plan to see if that is an option.
Have you checked to see if you have dental insurance? Get started today and use these four ways to save some money.
Protect your oral health. Call Insurance Beacon at (623) 584-0071 for more information on Surprise, AZ dental insurance.